76 schoolgirls rescued by the Nigerian military after Boko Haram attack
The Nigerian military rescued 76 schoolgirls and recovered the bodies of two others on Wednesday, after the students went missing during a Boko Haram attack on a village. The rescued girls were returned to the village of Dapchi late on Wednesday evening, said some residents. However, at least 13 students may still be missing, and Reuters was unable to determine how the two girls died. Police and state officials said on Wednesday that there was no evidence that the girls had been abducted, though the Yobe government later said in a statement that the military had rescued some of the students from Boko Haram. More than 20,000 people have been killed and two million forced to flee their homes in the northeast of Africa’s most populous nation since Boko Haram began its insurgency in 2009.
About 270 girls were abducted from their school in Chibok in April 2014, about 60 escaped soon afterwards and others have since been released after mediation. Around 100 are still believed to be in captivity. Last month, Boko Haram released a video purporting to show some of the Chibok girls still in its custody, saying they do not wish to return home. Aid groups have said that Boko Haram has kidnapped thousands more adults and children, many of whose cases have been neglected.