Nigeria’s Boko Haram crisis: Parents of missing girls from Dapchi angry of misleading information
There is growing anger among the parents of a group of missing Nigerian schoolgirls following an attack by Boko Haram on Monday night. Parents of pupils who disappeared from their boarding school in Dapchi calimed to BBC News that their daughters were still missing.
The state government has apologized for issuing a statement on Wednesday that said some had been saved by the army. “We have now established that the information we relied on to make the statement was not credible,” it said.
The Nigerian activist group, Bring Back Our Girls, has called on the government to release a list of the names in order to clarify how many pupils are missing. The group was set up after the abduction almost four years ago of 276 girls from a school in Chibok, also in north-eastern Nigeria. Reuter’s news agency quoted parents and a government official as saying two girls had died, 76 had been rescued and at least 13 were still missing. But the state governor has backtracked on the statement and said the girls had not been found after all – leading five of the parents present at the briefing to faint with shock.