Creamy and slightly sweet, carrot soup is an easy way to sneak more vegetables into your diet. Coconut milk and chickpeas give this simple puréed carrot soup both body and unexpected richness, while earthy spices like curry, cumin and ginger bring balance to the dish. Pair this soup with a chunk of crusty bread or warm piece of naan.
Ingredients: (for 4 persons)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (32-ounce) package low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup canned light coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
(Preparation time: 10 mins; cooking time: 1h10mins)
In a large saucepot, heat coconut oil over medium heat until melted. Add onion and garlic and cook
about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in curry powder, cumin and ginger, and cook 1 minute. Stir in carrots, chickpeas, broth and 1 cup
water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes, or until carrots and chickpeas are very
tender. Stir in coconut milk.
Use an immersion blender to purée soup. Stir in salt. (Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and
carefully purée in batches in a traditional blender.)
Spoon into four bowls and serve with a swirl of coconut milk.
Per serving: Calories: 260; Carbohydrates: 36g; Protein: 6g; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Dietary
Fiber: 9g; Sodium: 710mg
Inside Cooking Ep 104: Coconut, Carrot & Chickpea Soup
Do you have a story to tell or is there something you think we should follow up on this article? … Send your stories and comments to [email protected]