The secret to this mash though is not an abundance of butter, but sour cream! Half butter, a good amount of sour cream and hot milk make the most perfect and best Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients (for 4 persons)
- 2 pounds (1 kg) potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot milk, or more
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
- 6-8 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley to garnish, optional to garnish
(Preparation time: 15 mins; cooking time: 30 mins)
Peel and cut potatoes into quarters lengthwise. Remove any spots, lumps or knots (I call them warts).
Place potatoes in a large pot (6-quart) and cover with cold, salted water by an inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes).
Drain cooked potatoes, add in the hot milk, butter and sour cream.
Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth, adding a little extra milk if needed. (OPTIONAL: Use a strong wooden spoon OR electric beaters to beat further until smooth. Be careful NOT to over beat or they will become gluey.)
Add in the garlic and Parmesan cheese (if using) and salt and pepper to taste.
Inside Cooking Ep 107: Creamy Mashed Potatoes