Healthy Texas Caviar (aka Cowboy Caviar) features black eyed peas and black beans with veggies and avocado tossed in a lime & apple cider vinaigrette. It is perfect to serve as a dip, a salad, or a side dish. It’s naturally vegan-friendly and gluten-free.
Ingredients (for 8 – 12 servings)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 ½ cups fire roasted corn (or regular is fine too)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup EACH: red onion, diced AND cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped
- 2 small avocados, diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ – 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or ancho)
- 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, cumin powder, AND salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
(Preparation time: 10 mins; Ready in: 10 mins)
Drain and rinse the black eyes peas and black beans. Drain the canned corn, or if using fresh corn cut it off the Cobb.
Prep and dice the red peppers, jalapeno, and onion. Chop the cilantro.
Prep and dice the avocado. Tip: The easiest and quickest way to dice an avocado for this recipe, is to slice it in half, remove the seed, using a small knife score the flesh in to segments, using a cross-hatch pattern, being careful to not break through the skin, and scoop it out using a large spoon, getting as close to the skin as possible in one swoop.
Assemble the salad by adding the beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, avocado and cilantro to a large bowl, top with spices, apple cider vinegar, optional oil, lime juice and salt & pepper, and toss well to coat. Taste for flavor.
Eat right away, or let the salad rest in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors mingle.
Be sure to check out the recipe video on YouTube for more useful tips on the recipe!
Inside Cooking Ep 123: Healthy Texas Caviar
Avez-vous une histoire à raconter ou y a-t-il quelque chose que vous pensez que nous devrions donner suite à cet article? … Envoyez vos histoires et commentaires à [email protected]